Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pot of Herb(s)

I got this idea from Martha.  Follow the link to get to her instructions.

Basically I saw this picture and ran with it.
I discovered that five pots of all these different sizes is actually quite expensive.  We only got three (but the same concept applies).

I made a pot of herbs just outside my kitchen door.  Now I just step outside for a nice addition to my cooking.  The herbs have to grow in a little, but they will, I have faith.

Gather your supplies (and the pots of course).

 
I layered the first two pots.  It took surprisingly little soil (we bought way too much). 

Then stacked the third pot on top.  I added some rocks for good drainage. 

Add the herbs (make sure to break up the roots a little to help them grow). 

Plant the herbs, and water.  That's it. 


Then, sit back and enjoy the fresh herbs.  I planted rosemary (that went on the top because it spreads), basil, cilantro, thyme, and oregano.  I love the rosemary in my omelets, basil in everything, cilantro in salsa, and oregano is good on chicken.  Yum, nothing tastes quite like fresh herbs when you are cooking.  They are one great aspect of summer weather for sure (I can never keep them going in the winter). 

I have some more herbs planted on the berm...I just hope the rabbit doesn't get to them. 


6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've never seen the stacking method before. I am going to check what size pots I have the second I'm done typing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I actually saw that this week too. I still haven't gotten to my herbs because I'm being too picky with how I want things to look. Love this idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh I saw this too! I think its going to look AMAZING when he herbs fill out and pour over a little... way too fun! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea and it looks great too.It's going to look great when its filled in and you'll have fresh herbs too, that's a win win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool idea..I love it and it is inspiring. Thanks for sharing at the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want this so bad. Currently I have all my cooking herbs in different pots and scattered on top of a wall border in my backyard. If I do make this same container like yours, and if I transplant my herbs will it hurt them in anyway? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile and leave a comment!

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)