Thursday, October 20, 2011

Putting My Garden to Bed


I discovered in my first summer at my own house (last summer) that I'm not very good with weeds.  I don't like weeding and I don't do it very often.  Needless to say I'm not very good at keeping gardens all summer long.

I hope to change that all next summer when I plan to get all into gardening (I said that last fall but this time I mean it).

That is where bulbs come in.  I love bulbs because you plant them in the fall, they grow in the spring BEFORE the weeds have a chance to take hold.  So you have beautiful flowers and NO WEEDING!

OK I admit it ... I don't have much to show for my work except some flower beds with no flowers, but I will link up the bulbs when they blossom in the spring.

Here is one of the beds I had ready.
I made two new beds around my front porch, and planted bulbs in four beds total.  I planted daffodils, tulips, hyacinth and crocuses (not enough crocuses in my opinion but that is for a discussion with my husband).

Here are my two new beds:



Planting bulbs is pretty easy.  I dig up all the weeds (one not all summer long I will remind you).

Weeds are gone (I need to sweep my porch).
My yard has some weird stuff under all those weeds.  I don't know what the renters were doing but I have found a stuffed animal in the past and this time I found toys, empty cigarette packs, plastic bags, a spoon and a knife (were they eating in the garden?).



Next I distribute the bulbs.  I like to spread them around so I can mix the different kinds up.


Once the bulbs are mixed as I like them I then have to dig a little hole for each bulb.  The daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths get planted deeper than the crocuses.  It is pretty easy to tell because the crocuses are much smaller so they take less dirt to cover them.  It takes some time to plant each bulb but I just think of the flowers I will have in the spring.

Cover the flowers with dirt and then mulch.  You are done!


Now I have something to look forward to in the thaw.  Anyone else planting bulbs this fall?

Next I want to fix up the front porch, but that might have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make me smile and leave a comment!

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)